Friday, July 18, 2008

Real Indian stuff






That was my favorite sign at Taos Pueblo today. I finally got to see the place. The Pueblo is the oldest continually inhabited village - 1,000 years to be exact. The Pueblo Indians live there, much as they have for those 1,000 years, and not much has changed in all this time. About 150 people live there full time; there is no electricity, running water, or plumbing. Every floor in every house and shop is bare dirt. And it's a World Heritage Site.

They mostly make their living selling crafts. There were about 20 shops to look in. I bought a couple of sets of necklaces and earring, but couldn't find my ideal bear fetish necklace. I went into one place that had a little old Indian man, and I just couldn't walk out without buying something. So I got a small handmade drum that he had made....a Chirstmas tree ornament, really, but I told him I would have it displayed to admire year-round. He was cute.

And naturally I found the only cat in the place. Or should I say, he found me?

No comments: