Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hello, Taos!


I arrived in Taos, New Mexico, last Friday and met my friend Sally for dinner. She's the author of two published books already and wanted to take a workshop and meet with a publisher for her third book at the Taos Summer Writers Conference. I signed up for three workshops over nine days.

The first one last weekend was screenwriting, taught by a professor of screenwriting at the University of New Mexico. My current workshop for the week is intermediate novel writing with an accomplished novelist, Laura Dave. Next weekend will be about publishing, led by an editor who worked with the likes of Shirley MacLain, Clive Cussler, and Hunter S. Thompson. This guy's been around the block a few times.

To get the most out of this conference, I whipped up a synopsis, a couple of chapters, and an outline of a novel I'm working on and have thought about for a while. It's great fun to have total immersion with hundreds of like-minded folks here. And the advice is priceless from some very top-notch people in the field.

This, I must admit, was a great idea...

No comments: